There is no cure for tinnitus, but there are ways to reduce the severity of symptoms.
- White noise machines. These devices, which produce simulated environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean waves, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. This machine can help mask the sound of tinnitus.
- Hearing aids. These can be especially helpful if you have hearing problems as well as tinnitus.
- Masking devices. Worn in the ear, similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
- Tinnitus retraining. A wearable device delivers individually programmed tonal music to mask the specific frequencies of the tinnitus you experience. Over time, this technique may accustom you to the tinnitus. The less you focus on the tinnitus, the less bothersome it will be. Counseling is often a component of tinnitus retraining.
- Lipoflavonoid, a safe dietary health supplement that helps improve circulation in the inner ear. This enhances overall ear health —making you less susceptible to tinnitus and reducing the intensity of unwanted ear ringing.
- The herb ginkgo
- Zinc supplements